Our fundamental belief at Freudigman & Billings is that children learn best in the context of supportive relationships. We are committed to helping our students better understand how they learn and how they can take ownership of that learning. Our team provides educational solutions for middle and high school students through individual assessment, personally tailored learning programs, and one-on-one instruction.
Instructional coaches at F&B provide holistic academic support for high school students across a variety of educational domains. The work is as rewarding as it is challenging as we help students navigate some of the more meaningful steps forward in their education. The ideal candidate will have some experience working with middle or high school students and teaching relevant content, and should possess excellent communication and executive functioning skills. Our instructors are empathetic and exercise a flexible mindset. This is an entry level position.
- Contribute intellectually and creatively to the instructional team in order to cultivate a trusting, honest, and respectful environment for students that promotes educational and emotional success.
- Work one-on-one with students to execute academic plans on an agreed upon timelines across a variety of educational domains, including subject specific instruction for middle and high school coursework, academic skill building, and executive functioning support.
- Assist in administrative duties directly and indirectly applicable to provision of student services including curriculum and materials preparation, tracking of student compliance, student progress and student outcomes, participating in case reviews, staff trainings and staff meetings, and maintaining session case notes.
- Bachelor’s degree in any major with some college courses in math or science
- Comfort with the AP or IB level in one or more of the following subjects: Calculus, Statistics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, or Economics
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail, strong observation skills, and the charisma to build professional relationships with adolescents
- Ability to identify teachable moments and flexibly pivot to help students succeed
- High emotional intelligence and empathy
- Interest and engagement with youth culture in order to connect with students as a broader mentor and not just an educator
- Interest in pursuing a career in education, psychology, medicine or a related human service field
- Ability to pass a background check
- Weekday availability between 12:30pm and 9pm; Weekend availability between 11am and 7:30pm
- Work is performed in the office in Westport, CT and online